Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Diva Challenge #144

I found myself a bit confused by the Diva Challenge this week.  She showed a video made for Sakura (the maker of the wonderful Micron Pigma pens I use) and a CZT named Samantha Taylor.  In the stop motion video, Samantha completes a lovely Zentangle tile.  After the video, Erin (the Diva) said this:

Today's challenge is to take inspiration from the video!

Use colour to bring a  Zentangle tile to life!
Camouflage a bug somewhere in the tile. (i.e. a drawing of a bug, a bug-shaped tangle pattern, etc.) Create a tile inspired by nature!
Shade your tile using some colour!
What confuses me is the various things mentioned.  I truly hope the challenge was just to take inspiration and not have to do all of the listed items.  Although, now that I think of it, my piece fits all but hiding a bug in the piece.  I have a squid, but no bug.

Unfortunately, you're going to see an orangey spot in the bottom right because I carried my sketchbook and my lasagna upstairs at the same time.  Big mistake, as it turns out, because the lasagna pan obviously had some sauce on the bottom and it ended up in my piece.  I'm quite disappointed, as I was thinking of framing this for one of my niece's.  She saw it as I worked on it and loved it.  I'll have to make another for her now.


I went with a sea-theme for this because the Popsicle pattern reminds me of sea anemones. I added a touch of whimsy by putting the face on the squid, who is pink, by the way, but the color doesn't show very well once scanned.    I used black Micron Pigma pens in .20 and .35 mm, and colored pencil. Oh, well, it was great fun doing it and I tried a couple of new patterns.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I really love your piece! Those colors make it really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just the gosh darn cutest squid I've ever seen. I just want to hug it & squeeze it & carry it around in my pocket! The whole piece is very pretty - especially the soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and fancy! The soft coloring is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful sea scene you've created, love the color and texture!

    ReplyDelete